How do I add an XMP Metadata Definition using the standard XMP Namespace to Portfolio?
Here's how to add an XMP Metadata Definition using a standard XMP namespace to Portfolio. If you want to create custom namespaces, please see this article. There are two main steps:
- A metadata definition is created
- A custom field is created and linked to the new metadata definition
The following convention is recommended for the metadata definition name in Portfolio: XMP – Corporate Identifier – Field Name. Metadata embedded in your files will use this convention: xap:CorporateIdentfierFieldName. In this article, "XMP - Example Company – Example Field" will be used as a generic example. It is assumed that you will be using your own company and custom field names.
Create a Metadata Definition
- Log into Portfolio administration and click on Catalogs.
- Select a catalog, then click on Manage Catalog Fields.
- Click on Manage Metadata. The Metadata Definitions dialog will display.
- Click on the + symbol. The New Metadata Definition dialog will display.
- Type the name you want for this XMP definition into the Name field. XMP - Example Company - Example Field is used in this example.
- Set the Type to XMP
- Set the Namespace to xap and type the xap Tag name into the Tag field. xap:ExampleCompanyExampleField is used in this example.
- Choose a Data Type for your field. String was used in this example. This article explains the different Data Types.
- Choose a Multivalued Type. If the field will hold more than one value, select Ordered or Unordered.
- Click Submit and OK to close the Metadata Definition dialog.
Here is a screenshot for this example: [caption id="attachment_37260" align="alignnone" width="478"]
New Metadata Definition[/caption]
Create a Custom Field
- Click on Add New Custom Field.
- Type the name of the field into the New Field field. Example Company - Example Field is used in this example.
- Select the same Field Type that was used for the Data Type in the section above.
- Select options for the field as needed, such as Default Value, Allow Multiple Values, etc...
- Turn on Extract and Embed Metadata if you want Portfolio to read and write metadata from and to your images.
- For Metadata Name, choose the field name you used in the section above. XMP - Example Company - Example Field is used in this example.
- Turn on Extract from Metadata if you want Portfolio to read metadata from this field. Turn on Embed in Metadata if you want Portfolio to write to it.
- Click on the 'Submit' button to save the changes.
Here is a screenshot for this example: [caption id="attachment_37264" align="alignnone" width="505"]
New Custom Field Setting using "Example Company - Example Field"[/caption]