I'd like to export catalog data from Portfolio. How do I do that?
If you have Portfolio 1.5 or newer, you can export field data from your catalog as a tab-delimited text file. This article explains how this can be done.
You have to be logged in as a user that has permission to Export data from your catalog. Administrator accounts have this permission by default. Publisher and Editor accounts can be given this permission following these steps:
- Log into Portfolio Administration
- Click on Access Levels
- Click on Editor or Publisher
- Turn on Export/Import Metadata
Note: This will give all Editor users the ability to export and import metadata from and into all of your catalogs.
Before you can export data, you have to select something to export data from. You can export from entire galleries, entire watch folders, or selected thumbnails:
- Log into Portfolio Web and select the catalog you want to export data from.
- Right Click (Windows) or Command Click (Mac) on an organizer, a gallery, folder, or group of selected assets.
- Select 'Export Data...'
- Click on 'Show Jobs'
- When Portfolio has finished exporting the data, click on "Download", then close the Jobs dialog.
The data will be downloaded as a tab-delimited text file. The header line consists of the names of the fields that are exported, separated by tabs. The first field exported is RID, which represents each asset’s unique ID within Portfolio. All fields of your catalog are exported, except Thumbnail, Document Text, and Thumbnail Size. For fields that include multiple values (such as Keywords), values are separated by a vertical bar | character.
You can open this text file in Microsoft Excel, or any other application that can handle tab-delimited data.