How can I add an XMP metadata definition which uses a custom XMP namespace to Portfolio?
Below are the steps to configure Portfolio to use a custom XMP namespace. If you need to add a standard XMP namespace that uses an xap prefix, please refer to this article. Please note that not all software supports custom namespaces. There are three main steps:
- A new namespace is created
- A metadata definition is created
- A custom field is created and linked to the new metadata definition
Typically a custom XMP namespace uses a corporate identifier. The following convention is recommended for the metadata definition name in Portfolio: Corporate Identifier – Field Name. Metadata embedded in your files will use this convention: corporateidentfier:fieldname. In the examples below, Celartem will be used as the Corporate Identifier. It is assumed that you will be using other company names.
Create a new namespace
- Log into Portfolio administration and click on Catalogs.
- Select a catalog, then click on Manage Catalog Fields.
- Click on XMP Namespaces. The XMP Namespaces dialog will display.
- Click on the + symbol. The New Custom XMP Namespace dialog will display.
- Use the Abbreviation field to type in an abbreviation for the namespace. celartem was used in our example.
- Use the Namespace URI field to type in the name for the custom namespace. celartem was used in our example.
- Click Submit and OK to close the XMP Namespace dialog.
[caption id="attachment_37236" align="alignnone" width="471"]
New Custom XMP Namespace[/caption]
Create a Metadata Definition
- Click on Manage Metadata. The Metadata Definitions dialog will display.
- Click on the + symbol. The New Metadata Definition dialog will display.
- Type the name you want for this XMP definition into the Name field. Celartem - Inventory Number is used in this example.
- Set the Type to XMP
- Select the Corporate Identifier for the Namespace field and type the field name into the Tag field. celartem:inventoryNumber is used in this example.
- Choose a Data Type for your field. Number was used in this example. This article explains the different Data Types.
- Choose a Multivalued Type. If the field will hold more than one value, select Ordered or Unordered, otherwise keep it set to Not Multivalued.
- Click Submit and OK to close the Metadata Definition dialog.
Here is a screenshot for this example: [caption id="attachment_37244" align="alignnone" width="480"]
New Metadata Definition[/caption]
Create a Custom Field
- Click on Add New Custom Field.
- Type the name of the field into the New Field field. "Celartem - Inventory Number" is used in this example.
- Select the same Field Type that was used for the Data Type in the section above.
- Select options for the field as needed, such as Default Value, Allow Multiple Values, etc...
- Turn on 'Extract and Embed Metadata' if you want Portfolio to read and write metadata from and to your images.
- For Metadata Name, choose the field name you used in the section above. "Celartem - Inventory Number" is used in this example.
- Turn on Extract from Metadata if you want Portfolio to read metadata from this field. Turn on Embed in Metadata if you want Portfolio to write to it.
- Click on the 'Submit' button to save the changes.
Here is a screenshot for this example: [caption id="attachment_37246" align="alignnone" width="541"]
New Custom Field[/caption]