Frequently Asked Questions
- What systems can I upgrade?
Portfolio 4 can only upgrade directly from a Portfolio 3 installation.
See Upgrading from earlier versions below for options to upgrade from earlier versions of Portfolio.
- What are the system requirements?
Portfolio 4 has the same system requirements as Portfolio 3.6.3.
You can review the system requirements and recommendations here.
- Do I need a new serial number or license?
Customers with a current support agreement or Portfolio subscription were issued licenses automatically; you won’t need to do anything.
Your Portfolio system needs an active internet connection in order to download the product registration information.
Before you upgrade
Perform a backup
- Have all people using Portfolio log out.
- Create a backup of your Portfolio 3.6.3 database and assets; see Backups in the Portfolio Administration online help.
- Stop the Portfolio server. Click Status in the Portfolio Administration sidebar, then click Stop Portfolio.
- When Portfolio has stopped, exit your browser.
Perform the upgrade
- Download the latest installer for your platform from Portfolio 4 Support. Be sure to download the Portfolio server installer.
- Launch the installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the Portfolio installer has finished, it will start Portfolio and open your default browser to the Portfolio Administration application.
- Log in to Portfolio Administration using your existing administrator password.
If you have been using Portfolio 2016, a direct upgrade is unlikely to be possible.
However, if you have an up-to-date backup of your Portfolio database, you can install Portfolio 4.0 on a new system and restore the previous backup.
See Configuration quick start to get Portfolio 4 set up.
Make sure that your new system has access to your Portfolio assets (Vault or watch folders).
To restore from a backup, click Backup/Restore in the Portfolio Administration sidebar, then click Restore From Backup.
What you need to upgrade from Portfolio 2016 through 3.6.2
- Your Portfolio system needs to be running on a system that can also support Portfolio 4.0.
See Portfolio System Requirements.
- For older versions of Portfolio 2016, you will need to first upgrade to version 2.5.3.
Download the installer for Portfolio 2.5.3 from Portfolio 2016 Support.
- The Portfolio Administration application for versions prior to 3.6.3 use Adobe Flash, which is no longer supported or available for download.
If your system is still running and still able to use Flash, you should prevent browser, OS, and Flash upgrades from disabling Flash. You can submit a support request to get help upgrading to Portfolio 3.6.3.
Important: Extensis cannot help you configure your system to run Flash.
- For Portfolio 2.5.3, you will need to upgrade to Portfolio 3.6.3.
Download the installer for Portfolio 3.6.3 from Portfolio 3 Support.
- If you can configure your existing Portfolio system to run Portfolio 3.6.3, then you can upgrade from Portfolio 3.6.3 to Portfolio 4 following the process at the beginning of this article.