An individual user may need to perform different tasks on assets residing within different catalogs. When you grant a user membership to a catalog, you also assign them a Role for that catalog. Each default Role has a number of pre-selected permissions along with optional selectable permissions as well as non-selectable ( dimmed ) permissions. Custom Roles can also be created by selecting desired selections from the permissions matrix.
An individual user may need to perform different tasks with assets in different catalogs. When you grant a user membership in a catalog, you also assign them an Access Level for that catalog. Each access level has some pre-defined permissions, some permissions that can be enabled, and some that cannot be enabled. Settings that cannot be changed for a specific access level are grayed out.
Reader: Can search and perform some other basic tasks. Readers cannot add, delete, or edit fields within the catalog.
Editor: Primarily for users that need to perform data-entry tasks. It does not allow users to add or delete catalog entries.
Publisher: Primarily used to let a user add and delete catalog entries. While this user can also enter data, they are limited in that they cannot alter or define fields
Catalog Administrator: Can perform any action available within Portfolio Web, and can also log in to the Portfolio Admin application in order to generate reports, manage NetPublish sites(add-on module), and modify the catalog; including defining custom fields, master keywords, and Watch Folders, and configure all catalog-specific settings.
Additional Role Permissions: Portfolio Web Client / Desktop Client
The following operations are available within the Portfolio Web / Desktop clients :
- Access and Process Originals: Allows the user to download original files. When this permission and Use Convert Presets are enabled, the user has access to the Batch Process function.
- Add Assets: Allows users to add assets to a catalog.
- Can Smart Keyword: Allows the user to use the Suggest Smart Keyword feature for cataloged assets.
- Check Out Assets: For Vault catalogs, allow the user to check out an asset.
- Delete Asset from Catalog: Allows users to remove assets from a catalog.
- Delete Original Assets: Allows users to remove files from disk when removing assets from a Watch Folder catalog.
- Embed Metadata: Allows users to edit metadata that can be embedded in a file.
- Import/Export Metadata: Allows users to export metadata for assets to a text file, or import metadata for existing cataloged assets from a text file.
- Make PDF: Allows the user to generate a PDF contact sheet.
- Manage Presets (Convert and Make PDF): Allows users to create, edit, and delete Batch Process and PDF presets.
- Manage Public Field Lists: Allows users to add, remove, and edit field list presets.
- Manage Public Galleries: Allow users to create, update, and delete public galleries.
- Modify Folder Structures: Allows users to add and remove subfolders. In order to move subfolders, users must have the Move Assets permission.
- Move Assets: Allows users to move assets between folders.
- Publish NetPublish Sites: Allows the user to publish and modify NetPublish sites.
- Sync AutoSync Folders: Allows users to manually synchronize a watch folder.
- Update Asset Fields: Allows users to edit metadata for an asset. Users must also have the Embed Metadata permission.
- Use Convert Presets: Allows users to use custom conversion presets created by others. When this permission and Access and Process Originals are enabled, the user has access to the Batch Process function.
To add a new custom Role, first click the green [+] icon directly above the Roles pane, type in the desired name within the Create Role dialog, and then click Save. Once the new Role has been created, you can then select the desired permissions from the permissions matrix.
Note that when creating restricted custom Roles such as "Viewer", Portfolio currently requires at least one selected permission with Check Out Assets as the recommended for Watched Folder Catalogs and Sync AutoSync Folders as the recommended for Vault Catalogs.