Within the Portfolio Admin Web interface, the Administrator can create and manage catalogs. During the initial Catalog creation process, a Catalog Template and as well as Storage Type must be selected.
Portfolio provides four default Catalog Templates. Custom Catalog Templates can be saved for existing Catalogs in order to mirror settings for any Catalog that may be created in the future. Additional information on Custom Catalog Templates can be found here.
- General Use: This is the default ( recommended ) template that includes the majority of the primary metadata fields aligned with Adobe Creative Cloud workflows.
- Simple: This template does not contain any custom fields, and is not configured to extract metadata from files.
- VRA Core: VRA Core is a metadata standard for works of visual culture and fine arts.
- Custom Catalog Templates: Any previously save Custom Catalog Templates may also be listed beneath the default template choices.<
Catalog Storage Types
It’s very important to consider your infrastructure storage and disaster recovery requirements as well as organizational goals when selecting a Catalog Storage Type.
Assets for Vault catalogs are stored exclusively within Portfolio’s Vault and are managed by Portfolio. The Vault is a customized (MongoDB) database that "containerizes" the assets which are not accessible for casual browsing (outside of the Portfolio Client interfaces). The Portfolio Administrator or Catalog Administrator can control who has access to Vault assets. A Vault catalog is ideal for smaller asset libraries where disaster recovery is not critical but extra security is a must.
|Vault Catalog Benefits||Vault Catalog Considerations|
|Watch Folder Catalog Benefits||Watch Folder Catalog Considerations|
Note: Once a Catalog has been created, it's not possible to simply change to a different Catalog Storage Type and note that Catalog migration can be a complex, time consuming process.
Once you’ve decided on your Catalog Template and Storage Type, now it’s time to create a catalog.
Create a Catalog
- Within the Portfolio Admin Web interface, select Catalogs
- Click the [+] symbol directly above the Catalogs listing pane.
- Enter a Catalog Name (spaces are acceptable).
- Select a Catalog Template from the Save Catalog Template list.
- Select a language collation method from the Catalog Collation list.
Choose a Storage Type.
- For Vault Catalog types, ensure that Use Asset Versioning has been enabled to enable versioning.
- For Watched Folder Catalog types, Create an AutoSync folder should only be enabled if target folder structures do not already exist and AutoSync settings have been properly configured within Global Settings.
- For Watched Folder Catalog types that will be configured to monitor existing folder structures (e.g. residing on a fileserver via SMB), note that these are specified by Catalog Administrators (post Catalog creation) within the Portfolio Client interface.
- Click Create.
See also: Adding users to catalogs