Within the Portfolio Admin, the Administrator can create and manage catalogs. Before creating a catalog, you must first select a Catalog template and determine the type of storage for your Catalog.
Out of the box, Portfolio provides four Catalog templates. Each template can be customized. Additionally, users can create and customize a template. For more information on Catalog templates can be found here.
- General Use: Default template.
- Simple: This template does not contain any custom fields, and is not configured to extract metadata from files.
- Spectrum: Spectrum is the UK standard for collections management.
- VRA Core:The VRA Core is a data standard for works of visual culture and fine arts.
- Custom Catalog Templates: You can create your own custom templates.
Catalog Storage Types
It’s important to consider organizational goals when selecting a storage type.
Vault catalogs are stored in Portfolio’s vault and managed by Portfolio. The vault is a secure custom database that is not accessible for casual browsing. The Portfolio Administrator or Catalog Administrator can control who has access to Vault assets. A Vault catalog is ideal for assets where extra security is a must.
|Vault Catalog Benefits||Vault Catalog Considerations|
Watch Folder Catalog Benefits
|Watch Folder Catalog Considerations|
Note: If one chooses Watch Folder Catalogs, it’s important to have all users agree on a workflow. Not having an established and enforced workflow can lead to mismanaged or deleted assets.
Once you’ve decided on your catalog template and storage type, now it’s time to create a catalog.
Next Steps: Create a Catalog
- In the Portfolio Admin, click Catalogs
- Click the Add New Catalog
- Select a catalog template
- Enter a catalog name.
- Choose a Collation(language)method from the drop-down menu.
- Choose a Storage Type.
- Vault Catalog
- Watch Folders
- Click the Create Button.
See Also: Adding users to catalogs