Description of Issue
I’m currently using Suitcase Fusion 8 for Windows but I want to revert back to Suitcase Fusion 7.
Description of Environment
This article covers Suitcase Fusion 7 running on all supported versions of Windows.
How to Resolve the Issue
- You should close any applications that have Suitcase Fusion auto-activation plug-ins installed (Adobe and/or Quark).
- Open Suitcase Fusion 8 and go to Suitcase Fusion > Log Out. Suitcase Fusion will show a login dialog; click Quit.
Uninstall Suitcase Fusion 8 using Programs and Features
- Select Uninstall
- Move the Following Folder and Place on the desktop for safe keeping
Download the Suitcase Fusion 7 Installer
You can download the latest installer for Suitcase Fusion 7 from your My Products page using the following link:
Which Restore Option Should I Use?
If you were using Suitcase Fusion’s Typesync feature to sync your font library to your Extensis account, when you do a clean installation of Suitcase Fusion 7 your fonts and sets will be automatically synced with your new library. See “Letting Typesync restore your fonts” below.
For more information about Typesync use the link below:
Using Your Suitcase Back-Up
If you upgraded to Suitcase Fusion 8 by upgrading from Suitcase Fusion 7, Suitcase Fusion 8 created a backup of your font vault before updating. Suitcase Fusion backup files are typically saved to your Documents folder by default. See “Restoring from a Suitcase Fusion backup” below.
NOTE: You will lose any changes made in Suitcase Fusion 8 after the backup was created. Backups created in Suitcase Fusion 8 will not work with Suitcase Fusion 7.
If you can’t find a backup file or need to recreate your font library by hand, see “Recreating your font vault by hand” below.
Using Typesync to restore your Fonts
- Uninstall Suitcase Fusion 8. Once the Uninstaller is done, restarting your PC is recommended.
- Install Suitcase Fusion 7 and log in to your Extensis account. When you have logged in, Suitcase Fusion will sync your fonts and sets with your new library.
Restoring from a Suitcase Fusion backup
Uninstall Suitcase Fusion 8. Once the Uninstaller is done, restarting your PC is recommended.
- Install Suitcase Fusion 7 and log in to your Extensis account.
- Go to File > Font Vault Archive > Restore. Suitcase will warn you that restoring from a backup will cause Suitcase Fusion to restart. Click Restore.
- Locate your Suitcase Fusion backup and click Open. Suitcase Fusion 7 will restore your backup and restart.
Recreating your font vault by hand
You can export your fonts and sets from Suitcase Fusion 8, and then import them into a new font library in Suitcase Fusion 7.
- Open Suitcase Fusion 8
- Select the Font Library in the left-hand panel, then go to File > Collect Fonts for Output
- You will be asked to select a location for the collected fonts; select your desktop and click Collect
Suitcase Fusion creates a folder named Collected Fonts and place copies of your fonts in the folder. Rename this folder to “All Suitcase Fusion Fonts”, for later.
This method can be used to collect sets, as well.
- Select a font set in your Font Library
- Go to File > Collect Fonts for Output
- Select your desktop again and click Collect. Suitcase Fusion creates another Collected Fonts folder, but the fonts are placed in a subfolder with the same name as the collected set.
Repeat these steps for each set you want to preserve. Once you are done, rename the Collected Fonts folder to “Suitcase Fusion Sets”.
NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you zip up copies of your “All Suitcase Fusion Fonts” and “Suitcase Fusion Sets” folders, for backup purposes.
- Uninstall Suitcase Fusion 8. Once the Uninstaller is done, restarting your Mac is recommended.
- Install Suitcase Fusion 7 and log in to your Extensis account. Drag your “All Suitcase Fusion Fonts” folder onto the Font Library icon in the left-hand sidebar; Suitcase Fusion will re-add your fonts to the font library.
- Open the “Suitcase Fusion Sets” folder, and drag each subfolder into the Font Library, one at a time. Suitcase Fusion will create a set with the same name as the folder, and add the fonts to the set.