Configuring and Applying Smart Keywords
With Portfolio v.3.6 and higher, accounts with an active Annual Service Agreement can automatically tag every single one of your image assets with Smart Keywords—descriptive keywords generated by the power of image recognition technology and AI—for no additional charge.
It’s easy to set up and start Smart Keywording. Simply follow these steps:
Configure Smart Keywords
- In Portfolio Administration, click Catalogs.
- Select the desired catalog and click View/Edit Catalog Details.
- In the Catalog Details panel, click Smart Keywords.
- Check the box labeled Use Smart Keywords in this Catalog.
- You can check the box labeled Smart Keyword newly cataloged assetsto automatically add Smart Keywords to assets as they are cataloged.
- Use the sliders to set the maximum Number of Keywords (1 to 20) and the Confidence Level (1 to 100) of the returned Smart Keywords.
- Setting the maximum number higher does not guarantee that more keywordswill be returned.
- The Confidence Levelis an estimate of how accurately the returned Smart Keywords will match the image submitted; a higher number will probably result in fewer, and possibly no, Smart Keywords being returned.
- Under Smart Keyword Engines, choose the keyword categories (“engines”) to make available to your users. They will have the option of selecting from among the categories that you enable here.
- Under Languages, choose the languages for returned Smart Keywords to make available to your users. They will be able to choose from among the languages that you enable here.
Apply Smart Keywords to Images
- In Portfolio Desktop Client or Web Client, select one or more assets you want to add Smart Keywords to.
- Right-click the selected assets and select Suggest Smart Keywords…
- Check the boxes of the Smart Keyword Engines and Languages made available by your Catalog Administrator.
- Click Suggest Smart Keywords
- When the job has completed, click on the Refresh Smart Keywords will appear in the Keywords field as green tag to differentiate them
Tips for Smarter Smart Keywords
- Don’t use SmartKeywords if your catalog only allows you to choose keywords from a predefined list.
- Unless your predefined list is very large, you can probably easily choose appropriate keywordsfrom the list.
- Use SmartKeywords before manually entering keywords.
- This will save you time on descriptive terms and let you consider adding words that are more specific to your business operations
- Don’t use SmartKeywords more than once per asset
- You won’t get more or better results on a second submission.
- Don’t use SmartKeywords on assets other than flat images.
- Returned values for videos, panoramic images, and documents will be of limited value.
- Only choose one language for SmartKeywords.
- Chances are that the same keywordswill be returned in all chosen languages; if you have a reason to add smart keywords from a different language, then choose only that language.
- SmartKeywords are not infallible
- The service can recognize common elements and even people in clear, straightforward images. A Picasso painting, comic book page, or screen shot of a smartphone app will not return valuable information.
- Monitor your users to determine whether the SmartKeyword return rate and accuracy are acceptable
- Then adjust the Number of Keywordsand/or Confidence Level to return Smart Keywords that better meet their needs