This article applies to Suitcase Fusion for Mac versions 19 (Suitcase Fusion 8) through 21.
When you open Suitcase Fusion for Mac you get an error dialog; clicking OK quits the application.
When Suitcase Fusion opens it connects to the type core–the background process that activates and deactivates fonts. If the type core isn’t running then Suitcase Fusion starts the type core, waits a few seconds, then attempts to connect again.
Sometimes, the type core is in the process of starting when Suitcase Fusion tries to connect the first time and can’t respond properly. When this happens, Suitcase Fusion displays this error. Close Suitcase Fusion, wait 5-10 seconds, and open it again.
If Suitcase Fusion is set up as a login item in macOS, it may open while the type core is starting up. There is no way to make macOS start login items in a specific order; the only solution is to remove it as a login item and open it when needed.
- Control-click on the Suitcase Fusion icon in the Dock
- Uncheck Options > Open at Login
Recent versions of macOS will ask if you want to reopen windows when restarting your Mac. This feature is similar to a macOS login item, and Suitcase Fusion may open while the type core is starting up. When restarting your Mac, uncheck “Reopen windows when logging back in” before clicking Restart.
Rarely, an incomplete or damaged hosts file or outdated session information will cause Suitcase Fusion to be unable to find a running type core process. In these cases, waiting a few seconds before trying to open Suitcase Fusion doesn’t address the issue.
- In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder…
- For “Go to the folder:” enter
~/.Extensisand click Go
- Drag the FMCore folder to the Trash
- In the Finder, select the Go menu and hold the Option key down; a Library menu option will be added
- Select Library
- In the Library folder, open the Extensis folder and drag the com.extensis.FMCore-LaunchInfo.conf file to the Trash
For more information about fixing the hosts file, go to Getting FMCore error 67112974 when opening Suitcase Fusion for Mac.