Some people, who like the simplicity of Suitcase Fusion, are anxious about using Connect Fonts. Good news, everyone!
IMPORTANT: You don't ever need to use the Connect Fonts Web app if you don't want to!
You read that right. You never ever need to use the Connect Fonts Web app.
A couple things you can do to keep the Web app at arm's length:
- When you start the desktop app and see the window that says Introducing Extensis Productivity Tips, take a breath, check the box labeled Do not show again, then click Dismiss.
- If you're using macOS, hold down the Command key and drag the and buttons off the toolbar. (You can also choose View > Customize Toolbar to move and remove buttons to your liking.)
Don't get us wrong. Eventually, the Web app will totally replace the desktop app. All future features will be added to the Web app. But for now, and for the foreseeable future, you can continue to use the desktop app as your only font manager.
What you're missing by skipping the Web app:
- Font Sense Smart Tags: We automatically add tags to fonts when you add them to the Web app. This gives you a head start on searching for fonts.
- More intelligent searching: The Web app's Search field shows instant results. Also, you can click on a tag (and other metadata items) to immediately show all your fonts with the same tag.
- Pairings: The Connect Fonts Web app can recommend fonts to "pair" with your selected font. Use these recommendations to select head and body fonts for your next project. Just for example.
We are working to move the major features from the desktop app to the Web, so that eventually you'll be able to do everything you need in the Web app.
Why did we do a Web app anyway?
Mostly, the Web app lets us add network features that don't require your organization to maintain a font server.
And we know what we're talking about. We've been producing the best-selling font server for the last few years.
But networks are changing. Many people are working remotely, including network admins. Suddenly, maintaining an office network is more expensive, and more tedious for employees to access.
The cloud has stepped in (if clouds can step) to provide an easy way for organizations to stay in touch. Cloud services can provide everything your organization needs to do business, in most cases easier and cheaper than running them from the office.
A Web app is easy for your IT department to install and update: they don't have to do anything. (Of course, right now that's fudging, since the Connect Fonts Web app still requires the desktop app.)
For us, the benefit will eventually be that we don't need to build applications for multiple operating systems. We'll fix bugs quickly, and add features almost continuously. We'll even be able to add features that just aren't possible in a desktop app.
In the short term, we're bringing the Web app up to the same level as the Suitcase Fusion you've been used to. In the meantime, we'll keep the desktop app available. But we encourage you to look at the Web app now and again to see what we're up to. When you are suitably impressed, we'll welcome you to the show.
Glossary of Terms
- EN: Introducing Extensis Productivity Tips
- DE: Wir präsentieren: die Produktivitätstipps von Extensis
- FR: Présentation des conseils de productivité Extensis
- EN: Do not show again
- DE: Nicht erneut anzeigen
- FR: Ne pas afficher de nouveau
- EN: Dismiss
- DE: Schließen
- FR: Ignorer
- EN: Command (key name)
- DE: Command
- FR: Command
- EN: View > Customize Toolbar
- DE: Ansicht > Symbolleiste anpassen
- FR: Affichage > Personnaliser la barre d'outils
- EN: Font Sense Smart Tags
- DE: Smart-Tags von Font Sense
- FR: Mots clés intelligents Font Sense
- EN: Search (field name)
- DE: Durchsuchen
- FR: Rechercher
- EN: Pairings
- DE: Kombinationen
- FR: Appariements